In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Groveley Wood like this:
GROVELY, or GROVELY WOOD, an extra-parochial tract in Wilton district, Wilts; 4¼ miles NW of Wilton. Pop., 50. house, 12. It is a main part of an ancient forest, which was one of the largest in Wilts; which continued to be a forest so late as the time of Elizabeth; and which contained a number of ancient earthworks; and it belongs to the Earl of Pembroke, and is a meet for the South Wilts hounds. " The circuit of this wood, '' says Sir R.Hoare, " is iter rich in food for the antiquary, and interesting to every eye that is not totally indifferent to the many varied and beautiful views which it continually affords. ...
'' Grovely Works, opposite Wishford, are remains of an ancient British town, about a mile in length, and occupying 60 acres. Grovely Castle, S of Little Langford, is an earthwork of single ditch and rampart, but seemingly of not very high antiquity. East Castle, Hanging-Langford, Belbury-Bing, and Hamshill-Ditches, also are ancient earthworks, various in character and in age, within the limits of the ancient foreST.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Groveley Wood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Groveley Wood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Groveley Wood, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Groveley Wood".