In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dinton like this:
DINTON, a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands near the river Nadder, and the Salisbury and Yeovil railway, 5½ miles W of Wilton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Salisbury. The parish, together with Teffont-Magna, comprises 4, 086 acres. Real property, with Teffont-Magna and Teffont-Evias, £7, 002. Rated property of D. alone, £3, 186. Pop., 509. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. Dinton House is the seat of William Wyndham, Esq. ...
The parish is a meet for the South Wiltshire hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Teffont-Magna, In the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, Magdalene College, Oxford. The church is externally good, but internally bad. Lord Clarendon, the historian, was born in the parsonage. Henry Lawes, the musician, also was a native; whom Milton designates as
Harry, whose tuneful and well-measured song
First taught our English music how to span
Words with just note and accent.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dinton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dinton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dinton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dinton".