In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Britford like this:
BRITFORD, or Burford, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Alderbury district, Wilts. The village stands adjacent to the Salisbury and Southampton canal, near the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, 1½ mile SE of Salisbury; and has a fair on 12 Aug. The parish includes also the tything of East Harnham, and the hamlet of Longford; and its Post Town is Salisbury. Acres, 3,148. Real property, £6,980. Pop., 872. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to King Harold; and belongs now to the Earl of Radnor. ...
Longford Castle, the seat of the Earl, occupied by Viscount Folkestone, was built about 1591 by Sir Thomas Gorges; is a curiously constructed edifice, of triangular form, with inner court; and possesses a very fine picture gallery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £281. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is cruciform; and contains a mausoleum of the Bouveries, and a curious, sculptured altar-tomb, usually, but erroneously, said to be that of the Duke of Buckingham who was beheaded by Richard III. East Harnham vicarage is a separate benefice. The parish contains Alderbury workhouse. The subdistrict comprises five parishes, a tything, a liberty, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 9,095. Pop., 5,623. Houses, 985.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Britford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Britford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Britford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Britford".