In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bemerton like this:
BEMERTON, a chapelry in Fugglestone-St. Peter parish, Wilts; 1½ mile W by N of Salisbury r. station. Post Town, Salisbury. Rated property, £1,336. Pop., 109. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Fugglestone, in the diocese of Salisbury. The old church had windows of decorated English, and a font of early English; and was restored by George Herbert, the poet. The present church was built in 1861; is in the transition style from first to second pointed; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with northeastern square tower, but presents a very irregular outline. George Herbert, who died in 1635; John Norris, the poet and metaphysician, who died in 1711; and Archdeacon Cox, the traveller and historian, who died in 1828, were rectors.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bemerton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bemerton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bemerton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bemerton".