In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arden like this:
ARDEN-WITH-ARDENSIDE, a township in Hawnby parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 7½ miles NW of Helmsley. Acres, 4,513. Pop., 129. Houses, 25. The surface is chiefly part of Humbleton moor. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here in 1150; but has disappeared.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Arden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ryedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Arden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arden, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arden".