In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Groby like this:
GROBY, or GROOBY, a village and a chapelry in Ratby parish, Leicestershire. The village stands near the Leicester and Swannington railway, 4½ miles WNW of Leicester; was once a market town; and has a post office under Leicester. The chapelry has a peculiar ecclesiastical jurisdiction. Real property, £3, 889; of which £825 are in quarries. Pop., 461. house, 86. The manor belonged, in the Confessor's time, to Ulfi; belonged afterwards to Hugo de Grantesmaisnel, who built a castle on it; passed to the Greys of Groby and Bradgate; was the birth place of Lady Jane Grey; and belongs now to the Earl of Stamford. ...
The castle was demolished abint the year 1176; and is now represented by only a minnd. Bradgate Hall, the hunting seat of the Earl of Stamford, is a large edifice in the Tudor style; was built in 1856; and stands amid extensive pleasure grinnds. Groby pool is a fine sheet of water, occupying 40 acres. Slates are quarried. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ratby, in the diocese of Peterboringh. The church was built in 1846, and has a small tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Groby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hinckley and Bosworth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Groby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Groby, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Groby".