In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dryham like this:
DIRHAM AND HINTON, or Dyrham, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; on an affluent of the river Avon, among the Cotswolds, contiguous to Wilts, 4½ miles S by E of Chipping-Sodbury, and 6 E of Mangotsfield r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Dyrham, under Chippenham. Acres, 3, 005. Real property, £5, 462. Pop., 457. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. Dirham Park is the seat of G. W. Blathwayt, Esq.; and contains a fine collection of paintings. ...
A camp on Hinton-hill is thought by some to have been a Roman outpost of Bath; by others to have been formed in connexion with a battle between the Britons and the Saxons in 599. The parish is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £501.* Patron, G. W. Blathwayt, Esq. The church is early English, with a square tower; and has two brasses. There is an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dryham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Gloucestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dryham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dryham in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dryham".