Place:


Norton  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:

NORTON, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands 1½ mile W of the river Avon, 1½ S S W of the boundary with Warwickshire, and 2¾ N N W of Evesham r. station; and is sometimes called Abbots-Norton. The parish contains the tythings of Lenchwick and Chadbury; and its post town is Evesham. ...


Acres, 2, 614. Real property, £4, 295. Pop., 396. Houses, 87. The property is subdivided; but most of it, with a fine hunting-box at Chadbury, belongs to the Duc D' Aumale. Vestiges of an ancient stone bridge, which crossed the Avon, are at Twyford. Part of the battlefield of Evesham is within the parish, and has yieldedrelics of the battle. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Lenchwick, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is late perpendicular, with a tower; was partly rebuilt, partly repaired, in 1844; and contains monuments of the Bigg family, and effigies ofknights.

Norton through time

Norton is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9988

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".