Place:


Bold  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bold like this:

BOLD, two hamlets and a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The hamlets are Bold and Bold-Heath; and the former stands adjacent to the Runcorn railway, 4 miles ESE of Prescot. The township includes also the hamlet of Maypole. Acres, 4,338. Real property, £8,151. Pop., 798. Houses, 137. The family of Bold, now represented by that of Bold Hoghton, were seated here from the Conquest till 1761; and they give name to Bold-street in Liverpool. The ancient mansion is now a farmhouse; and the modern one is Bold Hall. Bishop Barnes, who died in 1588, was a native.

Bold through time

Bold is now part of St Helens district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Helens has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bold, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9987

Date accessed: 24th June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bold ".