Place:


Hagley  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hagley like this:

HAGLEY, a village and a parish in Bromsgrove district, Worcester. The village stands near the West Midland railway, and near the boundary with Stafford, 2½ miles SSE of Stourbridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Stourbridge. The parish contains also the hamlets of Stakenbridge and Blakedown. ...


Acres, 2, 363. Real property, £6, 221. Pop., 963. Houses, 218. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Hagley Hall, belongs to Lord Lyttelton. Hagley Hall was built by the first Lord Lyttelton, the historian; is beautifully situated, on an undulating lawn; was frequently visited by Pope, Shenstone, Thomson, Addison, and other persons of genius and literary talent; contains many interesting paintings, and other objects of art; and stands amid grounds replete with both natural and artificial attractions. Other elegant seats are in the neighbourhood. A large Roman camp is on Wychbury hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £584. * Patron, Lord Lyttelton. The church was built in 1200; was repaired and enlarged by the first Lord Lyttelton; was restored in 1 838; and contains monuments of the Lytteltons. There are a chapel of ease at Blakedown, a national school, and charities £25.

Hagley through time

Hagley is now part of Bromsgrove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bromsgrove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hagley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hagley, in Bromsgrove and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9890

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hagley ".