Place:


Daylesford  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Daylesford like this:

DAYLESFORD, a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, and county of Worcester; on the West Midland railway, at the boundaries with Oxford and Gloucester, ¾ of a mile SSE of Addlestrop r. station, and 3½ E of Stow-on-the-Wold. Post town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. ...


Acres, 653. Real property, £919. Pop., 108. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. Daylesford House belonged for centuries to the Hastings family; was rebuilt by Warren Hastings in the year of the commencement of his trial; was his residence during the last twenty-four years of his life; and, together with the estate belonging to it, was sold, in 1853, for £30, 250. A monastery was founded at Daylesford, in the 8th century, by one of the kings of Mercia; and given, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to Evesham abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £152.* Patron, Mr. H. Grisewood. The church was rebuilt in 1861; and is a small cruciform structure, in the early decorated style, with rich adornments in coloured marbles.

Daylesford through time

Daylesford is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Daylesford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Daylesford, in Cotswold and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9810

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Daylesford ".