Place:


Cleckheaton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cleckheaton like this:

CLECKHEATON, or Clackheaton, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Birstall parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Aire, and on the Bradford and Mirfield railway, 5 miles SSE of Bradford; includes the hamlets of Scholes and Oakenshaw, and part of Hartshead-Moor; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Leeds. ...


Acres, 1, 726. Real property, £18, 381; of which £1, 608 are in mines. Pop., 6, 231. Houses, 1, 316. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are weavers. Vestiges of a Roman town were discovered here by Dr. Richardson.—The chapelry is of less extent than the township; and was constituted in 1842. Pop., 4, 721. Houses, 999. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Birstall. The church is a modern edifice, in the Gothic style, with a tower; and was built at a cost of £2, 387. An Independent chapel, in the Italian style, after designs by Lockwood and Mawson, was erected in 1859, at a cost of about £7, 500. There are also Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels, and two public schools. -The sub-district contains the townships of Cleckheaton, Hunswerth, and Wike; and is in the district of Bradford. Acres, 3, 956. Pop., 10, 446. Houses, 2, 223.

Cleckheaton through time

Cleckheaton is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cleckheaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cleckheaton, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/930

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cleckheaton ".