In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Regis like this:
NEWTON-REGIS, or Newton-in-the-Thistles, a village and a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick. The village stands within 1½ mile of the boundaries with Stafford and Leicester, 3 N N E of Polesworth r. station, and 5¼ E N E of Tamworth; and has a post-office under Tamworth. The parish comprises 1, 601 acres. Real property, £2, 324. Pop., 442. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300.* Patrons, Col. Inge and Sir Robert Burdett, Bart. The church is a handsome edifice, with tower and lofty spire. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newton Regis has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Warwickshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newton Regis and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Regis in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton Regis".