Place:


Long Itchington  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Itchington like this:

ITCHINGTON (LONG), a village and a parish in Southam district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Ichene or Watergall, near the Warwick and Napton canal, 2 miles NNW of Southam and 2 S of Marton r. station; and has a post office under Rugby. The parish contains also the hamlets of Stoney-Thorpe and Bascote. ...


Acres, 4, 510. Real property, £8, 636. Pop. in 1851, 1, 216; in 1861, 1, 150. Houses, 271. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Odingsells; passed through several hands to Dudley Earl of Leicester, who here entertained Queen Elizabeth on her way to Kenilworth; and belongs now to Lord Leigh and the Earl of Aylesford. The parish is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £210. Patron, J. D. Ellis, Esq., three turns, and Lord Leigh, one turn. The church is very an]cient; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was restored in 1866. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a neat national school of 1855, and charities £31. St. Wulfstan was a native.

Long Itchington through time

Long Itchington is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Itchington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Itchington, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9147

Date accessed: 20th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Itchington ".