Place:


Haydock  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haydock like this:

HAYDOCK, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Ashton-in-Mackerfield parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles NW of Newton-in-Mackerfield r. station, and 3½ ENE of St. Helens; and has a post-office under St. Helens, a police station, and a mechanics' institute. The township comprises 2,263 acres. ...


Real property, £14,266; of which 4,828 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,994; in 1861, 3,615. Houses, 601. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of collieries and the establishment of a foundry. The chapelry was constituted in 1864; and the living of it is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rector of Ashton-in-Mackerfield. The church was built in 1867. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national and British schools, and a large lunatic asylum.

Haydock through time

Haydock is now part of St Helens district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Helens has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haydock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haydock, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/907

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haydock ".