In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Lavington like this:
WOOLAVINGTON, a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex; nominally 2½ miles SSW of Petworth r. station, but partly adjoining Midhurst, and comprising several portions at considerable distances from one another . It has a post-office, of the name of Lavington, under Petworth. Acres, 2,530. Real property, £2,177. Pop., 488. Houses, 87. Lavington House belongs to Bishop Wilberforce; and Beechwood house is the seat of Miss Noel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £277.* Patron, Bishop Wilberforce. The church is good. Charities, £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Lavington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Lavington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Lavington, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Lavington".