In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton like this:
HOUGHTON, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; on the river Arun, ½ a mile WSW of Amberley r. station, and 3¼ N of Arundel. Post town, Amberley, under Arundel. Acres, 1, 455. Real property, £815; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop., 165. Houses, 35. The property is divided among a few. Houghton Hill commands a fine view to the sea. Barrows are on heights in the W. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Amberley, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is a recent edifice, in the early English style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Houghton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Arun. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Houghton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Houghton".