Place:


Castle Bromwich  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castle Bromwich like this:

BROMWICH (Castle), a chapelry in Aston parish, Warwick; on the Birmingham and Derby railway, adjacent to the Birmingham and Fazeley canal, 5½ miles ENE of Birmingham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Birmingham. Pop., 613. Houses, 129. Castle-Bromwich Hall is an old seat, and belongs to the Earl of Bradford. ...


An ancient castle is supposed to have stood on an eminence, still called Castle hill. Traces of Roman entrenchments exist; and ancient weapons have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £315. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. There is a free school.

Castle Bromwich through time

Castle Bromwich is now part of Solihull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Solihull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castle Bromwich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Bromwich, in Solihull and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8665

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castle Bromwich ".