Place:


Brinklow  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brinklow like this:

BRINKLOW, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands on the Fossé way and the Oxford canal, 1½ mile SW of Stretton r. station, and 5½ NW of Rugby. It has a post office‡ under Coventry; is a seat of petty sessions; and was formerly a market-town. ...


The parish comprises 1,410 acres. Real property, £3,512. Pop., 736. Houses, 179. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Mowbrays, and had a castle of theirs; but passed to the Stutevilles and the Segraves. Traces of a Roman camp exist; and some Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £228.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is variously early and decorated English; was restored in 1862; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists. A school has £17 from endowment; and other charities have £31. The family of Rous, the antiquary, were residents.

Brinklow through time

Brinklow is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brinklow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brinklow, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8649

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brinklow ".