In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Methley like this:
METHLEY, a village and a parish in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near a station of its own name on the Leeds and Normanton line of the Midland railway, between the confluence of the rivers Aire and Calder, 5½ miles NE by N of Wakefield; dates from some period before Domesday; is a large, wellbuilt, pleasant place, amid rich and finely-wooded environs; and has a post office under Leeds. The parish comprises 3,240 acres. Real property, £13,204; of which £4,000 are in mines, and £440 in railways. ...
Pop. in 1851,1,926; in 1861,2,472. Houses, 501. The property is not much divided. The manor and most of the land belong to the Earl of Mexborough. Methley Hall, a stately mansion, also belongs to the Earl. Coal of excellent quality is largely mined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £908.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is partly decorated English, partly perpendicular; consists of nave, aisles, transept, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire; has, over the S entrance, a mutilated statue of King Oswald; and contains some ancient and beautiful monuments of the Watertons and Savilles. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and United Free Methodists, a national school for boys, and a national school for girls.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Methley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Methley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Methley, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Methley".