In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayton like this:
CLAYTON, a township and a chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3½ miles W by S of Bradford; contains the villages of Clayton-Heights and Queens-Head; and has a post office under Bradford, Yorkshire. Acres, 1, 610. Real property, £9, 145; of which £825 are in mines, and £965 in quarries. Pop., 5, 655. Houses, 1, 172. The woollen manufacture is extensively carried on. The chapelry does not include all the township; and was constituted in 1858. Pop., 3, 228. Houses, 674. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £55. Patron, the Vicar of Bradford. The church was built in 1851, and is in the decorated English style; and there are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bradford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayton, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clayton".