Place:


Friston  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Friston like this:

FRISTON, a parish in Eastbourne district, Sussex; on the coast, near Beachy Head, 3¾ miles WSW of Eastbourne r. station. Post town, East Dean, under Eastbourne. Acres, 2, 023; of which 578 are water. Real property, £1, 298. Pop., 89. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. Friston Place is a mansion chiefly of the 17th century, and possessing features of interest. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of East Dean, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is good.

Friston through time

Friston is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Friston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Friston, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8448

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Friston ".