Place:


Madeley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Madeley like this:

MADELEY, a village, a township, and a parish in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the Northwestern railway, 1¾ mile E of the meeting-point with Salop and Cheshire, and 4½ W by S of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a station on the railway, and a post office ‡ under Newcastle, Staffordshire.-The township contains also the hamlet of Little Madeley. ...


Real property, £7,782; of which £400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851,1,423; in 1861,1,725. Houses, 350.—The parish contains also the township of Onnely, and comprises 5,734 acres. Real property, £8,730. Pop. in 1851,1,655; in 1861,1,940. Houses, 392. The property is divided among a few. Madeley House is a chief residence. The land is hilly and well wooded. Coal is worked, brick-making is carried on, and nails are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Valne, £266.* Patron, the Hon. Mrs.Offley. The church is ancient but good; and contains monuments of the Egertons and others. There are a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan chapel, a free school and alms houses with jointly £95 a year from endowment, and other charities £60.

Madeley through time

Madeley is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Madeley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Madeley, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8402

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Madeley ".