Place:


Chidham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chidham like this:

CHIDHAM, a parish in Westbourne district, Sussex; on Chichester harbour, adjacent to the South Coast railway, 2½ miles SW of Bosham r. station, and 4½ W of Chichester. It includes the tythings of Easton and Weston; and its post town is Bosham-Pound, under Emsworth. Acres, 2, 185; of which 985 are water. Real property, £3, 565. Pop., 310. Houses, 62. The variety of wheat known as the "Chidham white" was first grown here. Red ochre is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £190.* Patron, Miss Walker. The church is early English.

Chidham through time

Chidham is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chidham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chidham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8305

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chidham ".