Place:


Nantglyn  Denbighshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nantglyn like this:

NANTGLYN, a village and a parish in Ruthin district, Denbighshire. The village stands on an affluent of the Clwyd, 4 miles S W by S of Denbigh r. station; and has a post-office under Denbigh, and a fair on 27 Oct. The parish contains the townships of Blaunan, Gwllwm, Plas, and Hendre. Acres, 5, 600. ...


Real property, £1, 497. Pop., 320. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £222. Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was reported in 1859 as verybad. The churchyard contains some fine yew trees. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £15. Samwell, the surgeon of the circumnavigator Cook, was a native.

Nantglyn through time

Nantglyn is now part of Denbighshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Denbighshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nantglyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nantglyn in Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8301

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nantglyn ".