In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croxall like this:
CROXALL, or Croxhall, a township in the district of Tamworth and county of Derby; and a parish in the districts of Tamworth and Burton-upon-Trent, and counties of Derby and Stafford. The township lies on the river Meese, adjacent to the Derby and Birmingham railway, 6¼ miles N of Tamworth; and has a station on the railway. Acres, 1, 221. Real property, £3, 466. Pop., 143. Houses, 33. The parish contains also the townships of Oakley and Catton; and its post town is Elford, under Tamworth. Acres, 3, 020. Real property, £7, 080. Pop., 247. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. Croxall Hall is the seat of the Prinseps. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £489.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Croxall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lichfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Croxall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croxall, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Croxall".