Place:


Upper Arley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Arley like this:

ARLEY (Upper), a parish in the district of Kidderminster, and county of Stafford; in the southwestern projection of the county, on the river Severn, and on the Severn Valley railway, at Arley r. station, 4½ miles NNW of Bewdley. It has a post office under Bewdley. Acres, 3,912. Real property, £9,031. ...


Pop., 886. Houses, 158. Arley Hall here is the seat of Viscount Valentia: and there is an ancient camp in the woods of its park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £255. Patron, Viscount Valentia.* The church is conspicuously situated, and has a fine prospect. Charities, £35.

Upper Arley through time

Upper Arley is now part of Wyre Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Arley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Arley, in Wyre Forest and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7866

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Arley ".