Place:


Great Thurlow  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Thurlow like this:

THURLOW (Great), a parish, with a village, in Risbridge district, Suffolk; 3¼ miles N by E of Haverhill r. station. It has a post-office under Newmarket, and a fair on 11 Oct.; and it gives name and title to the descendants of Lord Chancellor Thurlow. Acres, 2,023. Real property, £3,806. Pop., 423. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £518.* Patrons, the Trustees of Lady Harland. The church is good.

Great Thurlow through time

Great Thurlow is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Thurlow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Thurlow, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7822

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Thurlow ".