Place:


Selston  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Selston like this:

SELSTON, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands near the Erewash river, 1 mile S of Pinxton r. station, and 3¾ S E by E of Alfreton; and has a post-office under Alfreton. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bagthorpe and Underwood, and comprises 2, 330 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 396; of which £850 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2, 101; in 1861, 2, 628. Houses, 503. The increase of pop. arose from extension of coal mining. The manor belongs to Lady Palmerston and the Earl of Mexborough. Stocking-weaving is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Heirs of Sir W. Dixie, Bart. The church was reported in 1859 as bad. There are chapels for Calvinists, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists.

Selston through time

Selston is now part of Ashfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Selston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Selston, in Ashfield and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7753

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Selston ".