Place:


Rushbrooke  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rushbrooke like this:

RUSHBROOKE, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; on the river Lark, 3¼ miles S E of Bury, St. Edmunds r.station. Post-town, Bury, St. Edmunds. Acres, 1,060. Real property, £1, 860. Pop., 185. Houses, 37. The manor belonged to Bury abbey; passed to the Jermyns; and, with R. Hall, belongs now to Major R. ...


F. B. Rushbrooke. The Hall is a splendid moated mansion; formsthree sides of a quadrangle; is partly of the time of King John, partly of that of Elizabeth; contains a drawing-room in which Elizabeth held courts in 1578; includesan old chapel, now used as a billiard-room; and stands in an extensive and well-wooded park. The parish is a meet for the Suffolk hounds. The living is a rectory, annexed to Brad field, in the diocese of Ely. The churchhas a richly decorated nave, a S aisle, a chancel, and a tower; and contains monuments of the Jermyns and the Rushbrookes. There are alms-houses with £32 a year, and some other charities.

Rushbrooke through time

Rushbrooke is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rushbrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rushbrooke, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7644

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rushbrooke ".