Place:


Orton Longueville  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orton Longueville like this:

ORTON- LONGVILLE, or Oeverton-Longueville, a parish, with a small village, in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; near the river Nen, at the boundary with Northamptonshire, 1¼ mile E S E of Overton r station, and 2¼ S W of Peterborough. Post-town, Peterborough. ...


Acres, 2, 400. Real property, £3, 576. Pop., 311. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Love-tofts; passed, through various hands, to the Copes and the Gordons; and, with Orton Hall, belongs now to the Marquis of Huntly. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Botolph-Bridge, in the diocese of Ely.value, £400.* Patron, the Marquis of Huntly. The church is early decorated English; has been partially restored; is a neat small edifice, with a tower; and contains an old fresco of St. Christopher, and monuments of the Copes and the Gordons. There are a national school, and charities £11.

Orton Longueville through time

Orton Longueville is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Orton Longueville itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orton Longueville, in Peterborough and Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7344

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Orton Longueville ".