In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawkedon like this:
HAWKEDON, a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk; 5½ miles NNE of Clare r. station, and 10 NW by N of Sudbury. Post town, Stansfield, under Sudbury. Acres, 1, 461. Real property, £2, 049. Pop., 321. Houses, 67. Hawkedon Hall belongs to J. E. Hale, Esq.; and Thurston Hall, to H. J. Oakes, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400. * Patron, H. J. Oakes, Esq. The church is ancient, with a tower; and contains an ancient font, and several brasses and monuments. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hawkedon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hawkedon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawkedon, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hawkedon".