Place:


Averham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Averham like this:

AVERHAM, a township and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The township lies at the confluence of the Greet river with the Trent, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 2 miles W by N of Newark. Real property, £4,049. Pop., 175. Houses, 36. The parish includes also the township of Staythorpe; and its Post Town is Newark. ...


Acres, 2,646. Real property, £5,299. Pop., 237. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Sir William Sutton; who is commemorated by a curious monument in the church. Averham Hall is the parsonage. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Kelham, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1,435.* Patron, J. H. M. Sutton, Esq. The church is good. The monument to Sir William Sutton records that he had sixteen children; one half of whom

Ushered to heaven their father; and the other
Remained behind him to attend their mother.

Averham through time

Averham is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Averham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Averham, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7231

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Averham ".