In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walthamstow like this:
WALTHAMSTOW, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in West Ham district, Essex. The village stands 1½ mile E of Lea-Bridge r. station, and 6 NE of St. Paul's, London; was known, at Domesday, as Wealanestun; and has a post-office under London, NE, a town hall of 1867, and a police station. The parish is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of St. Mary, St. James, St. John, and St. Peter; and comprises 4,436 acres. Real property, £37,283. Pop. in 1851, 4,959; in 1861, 7,137. ...
Houses, 1,423. The increase of pop. arose from proximity to London, and from the operations of building societies. There are numerous residences of wealthy families. The living of St. Mary is a vicarage, and the other livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of Rochester. Value of St. M., £745;* of the others, not reported.* Patron of St. M., E. Warner, Esq.; of the others, the Vicar. The church of St. M. is of the 16th century, and was restored in 1817. There are three Independent chapels. a Roman Catholic chapel, a free school, six other public schools, two suites of alms houses, a female orphan home, and considerable other charities.The sub-district includes also Woodford parish, and comprises 6,584 acres. Pop., 10,594. Houses, 2,054.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Walthamstow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waltham Forest. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Walthamstow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walthamstow, in Waltham Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walthamstow".