Place:


Hilton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilton like this:

HILTON, a village and a parish in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. The village stands near Ermine street and the boundary with Cambridge, 3½ miles SSW of St. Ives town and r. station; and has a post office under St. Ives, Huntingdon.—The parish comprises 1, 280 acres. Real property, £2, 614. ...


Pop., 387. Houses, 83. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. Lancelot Brown. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Fen-Stanton, in the diocese of Ely. The church is later English; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. An obelisk to the memory of W. Sparrow, of date 1641, is on the village green. Charities £30

Hilton through time

Hilton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7214

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hilton ".