In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ampton like this:
AMPTON, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 5 miles N of Bury St. Edmunds r. station. It has a post office under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 736. Real property, £910. Pop., 131. Houses, 28. Ampton Hall, the seat of H. Rodwell, Esq., is a large brick edifice, in a spacious park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £172.* Patron, Hun. Rodwell, Esq. The church is a plain brick building, with a stone tower, and has a brass. Charities, Calthorpes' school, almshouses., £440.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ampton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ampton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ampton, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ampton".