Place:


Roydon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roydon like this:

ROYDON, a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands on the river Stort, and on the Eastern Counties railway, at the boundary with Herts, 4½ miles W by S of Harlow; is sometimes called Woodredon; was formerly a market-town; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Ware. ...


The parish comprises 2, 995 acres. Rated property, £6, 254. Pop., 910. Houses, 186. The property is subdivided. R. Lodge and Mount Pleasant are chief residences. Nether Hall, an ancient mansion, belonged to the Colte family, but is now represented only by agateway; and the property connected with it belongs now to J. A. Houblon, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Earl of Mornington. The church was repaired in 1854; and has an embattled tower and a new spire. There are an Independent chapel which was enlarged in 1865, an endowed school with £47 a year, and charities £11.

Roydon through time

Roydon is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roydon, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6886

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roydon ".