In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pentlow like this:
PENTLOW, a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 5 miles N W of Sudbury r. station. Post-town, Sudbury. Acres, 1,847. Real property, £3, 117. Pop., 397. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. An octagonal tower was erected, in 1859, by the Rev. E. Bull, to the memory of his father; is a finestructure, in the Tudor style; and commands an extensive panoramic view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £550.* Patron, the Rev. E-Bull. The church has an apse chancel and a round tower, and is good. Charities, £24.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pentlow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pentlow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentlow, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pentlow".