In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nazeing like this:
NAZEING, a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands 2¼ miles E of the river Leaat the boundary with Herts, 3 E of Broxbourne r. station, and 4¼ N W of Epping; and has a post-office under Waltham Cross. The parish extends to the river Lea, and comprises 3, 893 acres. Real property, £6, 710. Pop., 763. Houses, 165. The property is divided among a few. Nazeing Park is the seat of Lieut.-Col. G. Palmer; Nazeing Cottage, of Capt. S. B. Edenborough; Green-leaves, ofSmily, Esq.; and St. ...
Leonards, ofJ. Bury, Esq. About 450 acres, formerly waste and common, were recently enclosed. The contiguous reach of the Lea is much frequented by anglers; and a hotel and pleasure gardens are there. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £260.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on an eminence, with a good view over the river Lea; is a red brick building; and consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There is a national school. Bishop Hall and Fuller were vicars.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nazeing has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Epping Forest. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nazeing and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nazeing, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nazeing".