Place:


Bures Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bures like this:

BURES-ST MARY, a parish in the district of Sudbury and counties of Essex and Suffolk; on the river Stour and on the Sudbury railway, at Bures station, 5 miles SSE of Sudbury. It contains the hamlet of Bures, which has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 4,131. Real property, £9,201. Pop., 1,659. Houses, 369. The property is much subdivided. Edmund, king of East Anglia, is said to have been crowned here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £273 Patron, O. Hanbury, Esq. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1865. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £10.

Bures through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bures has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bures and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bures, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6818

Date accessed: 25th October 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bures".