In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lindsell like this:
LINDSELL, a village and a parish in Dunmow district, Essex. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Chelmer, 3½ miles SE of Thaxted, and 5 NNE of Dunmow r. station.The parish contains also the hamlets of Holders-Green and Bustard-Green; and its Post town is Stebbing, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,959. Real property, £2,710. Pop., 385. Houses, 84. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Lindsell Hall belonged, before the Conquest, to Ulmar; was given, by the Conqueror, to Eudo Dapifer; and passed to the Pirots, the Tibetots, the Wentworths, the Norths, and others. ...
Lindsell Hall is the residence of Stephen Alger, Esq. Priors Hall belonged once to the priory of St. Valery, in Picardy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Valne, £204. Patron, S. Alger, Esq. The church belonged anciently to Walden abbey; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lindsell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lindsell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lindsell, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lindsell".