Place:


Tarporley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tarporley like this:

TARPORLEY, a small town, a township, and a parish, in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The town stands 2 miles N of Beeston r. station, and 10 ESE of Chester; dates from considerably ancient times; is a polling place, and the headquarters of the Cheshire Hunt; consists chiefly of one winding-street, about ½ a mile long; and has a head post-office,‡ a hotel, a market-hall conjoined with the hotel, a good public hall, a police station, an ancient church restored in 1868, a Wesleyan chapel built in 1867, Baptist and Primitive Methodists chapels, a literary and scientific institution, an endowed national school with £20 a year, charities £77, a weekly market on Thursday, and three annual fairs.-The township comprises 1,144 acres. ...


Real property, £4,904. Pop., 1,212. Houses, 255.—The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 6,057 acres. Pop., 2,577. Houses. 529. Portal Lodge, Salters-Well house , and Arderne Hall are chief residences. Beeston Rock is surmounted by ruins of an ancient stronghold. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £704.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester, Lord Binning, Sir P. Egerton, Bart., and the Hon. Miss Arden. Two dissenting chapels, two national schools, and a charity school are in the parts beyond T. township.

Tarporley through time

Tarporley is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tarporley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tarporley, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/666

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tarporley ".