In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chappel like this:
CHAPEL, Chappel, or Pontisbright, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the Colne river and the Colne Valley railway, 7 miles WNW of Colchester. It has a station, of the name of Chapel, on the railway; and its Post Town is Marks-Tey, under Colchester. Acres, 1,146. Real property, £2,021. Pop., 370. Houses, 86. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, under the vicarage of Great Tey, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £70. Patrons, the Parishioners. The church is old but good, and has a spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chappel has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chappel and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chappel, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chappel".