In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berden like this:
BERDEN, or Berdon, a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford, and county of Essex; 4½ miles NW of Elsenham r. station, and 6 N by W of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post office under Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 1,771.-Real property, £2,856. Pop., 414. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. A small Augustinian priory was founded here in the reign of Henry III.; was given, at the dissolution, to Henry Parker; and passed to the hospitals of Christchurch, Bridewell, and St. Thomas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £170.* Patron, Christ's Hospital. The church is ancient. The Rev. Joseph Mede, author of the "Clavis Apocalyptica," was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Berden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Berden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berden, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Berden".