Place:


Rockcliffe  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rockcliffe like this:

ROCKCLIFF, a village and a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Eden, 1¼ mile W of the Caledonian railway, and 4½ N W by N of Carlisle; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Carlisle. The parish is divided into the townships of Churchtown-Quarter and Castletown-Quar-ter; extends to the river Esk and the Solway frith; and comprises 5, 438 acres of land, and 1, 134 of water. ...


Real property, £5, 643. Pop., 949. Houses, 200. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Ratcliffes; passed to the Dacres and the Strongs; and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. R. Hall and Castletown House are chief residences. Remains exist of anold castle of the Dacres. A mineral spring, near the Eden, throws up a scum which tinges paper with a beantiful gold colour. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1848, and has a tower and spire.

Rockcliffe through time

Rockcliffe is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rockcliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rockcliffe, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6505

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rockcliffe ".