Place:


Wittersham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wittersham like this:

WITTERSHAM, a parish, with a village, in Tenterden district, Kent; 4½ miles NNW of Rye r. station. It has a post-office under Staplehurst, a literary institution, and a fair on 12 May. Acres, £3,601. Real property, £5,649. Pop. in 1851, 987; in 1861, 877. Houses, 182. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £732.* Patron, the Archbishop ofThe church is decorated English, and the chancel was recently rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £54 a year, and charities £24.

Wittersham through time

Wittersham is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wittersham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wittersham, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6489

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wittersham ".