Place:


Llangynnwr  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangynnwr like this:

LLANGWNNOR, or LLANGYNYR, a parish in the district and county of Carmarthen; on the river Towy, near the South Wales railway, 1 mile E of Carmarthen. It contains the hamlets of Coedgain, Llandre, Velyndre, Penddailwyn, and Pencwm; and its Post town is Carmarthen. Acres, 5,795. Real property, £6,677; of which £2,000 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851,1,157; in 1861,1,250. Houses, 262. The property is much subdivided. Ty-gwyn, now a farm-house, was the seat of the Scurlock family, a daughter of whom was the second wife of Sir R. Steele; and it is said to have been the place where he wrote his ''Constant Lover." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £221. * Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Cynyr; stands among some fine old yewtrees, on a spot commanding a magnificent view of the Towy's valley; is a small and primitive looking edifice; contains a monument to Steele; and was recently in disrepair. Charities, £5.

Llangynnwr through time

Llangynnwr is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangynnwr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangynnwr in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6458

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangynnwr ".