Place:


Llangar  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangar like this:

LLANGAR, a township and a parish in Corwen district, Merioneth. The township lies on the river Dee, at the influx of the Alwen, 1½ mile SW of Corwen r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Bryn, Cymmer, and Gwynod; and its Post town is Corwen. Acres, 3,578. Real property, £1,908; of which £90 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 211. Houses, 43. Much of the land is waste. Traces of an ancient fort are at Caerwern. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Cynwyd, in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £160. * Pa tron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The parish shares in the charities of Corwen.

Llangar through time

Llangar is now part of Denbighshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Denbighshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangar, in Denbighshire and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6373

Date accessed: 26th May 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangar ".