Place:


Barbon  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barbon like this:

BARBON, a chapelry in Kirkby-Lonsdale parish, Westmoreland; on the river Lune and the Ingleton railway, under Casterton fell, 3 miles NNE of Kirkby-Lonsdale. It has a station on the railway, and includes the hamlet of Beckfoot. Its Post Town is Kirkby-Lonsdale, under Burton-in-Kendal. Acres, 4,204. Real property, £2,568. Pop., 364. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of K.-L.

Barbon through time

Barbon is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barbon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barbon, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6229

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barbon ".