Place:


Hunsworth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hunsworth like this:

HUNSWORTH, a township in Birstall parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1½ mile from Cleckheaton and Low Moor r. stations, and 3½ SSE of Bradford. Acres, 1, 310. Real property, £6, 452; of which £270 are in mines, and £2, 520 in quarries. Pop., 1, 199. Houses, 248. The manor belongs to the Trustees of the Savile estates. There are woollen mills and dye works. A church, for the chapelry of Birkenshaw-cum-Hunsworth, is in the adjoining village of Birkenshaw, and was built in 1829; and a wesleyan chapel is at East Bierley.

Hunsworth through time

Hunsworth is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hunsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hunsworth, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/609

Date accessed: 21st September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hunsworth ".